DigitanimalMonitors and locates livestock animals to provide more peace of mind and more profitability to farmers
The best animal tracking system for cows, horses, goats, sheep and dogs.
Livestock farmers (breeders and fatteners) have a very low gross margin and currently their benefits depend on subsidies. Electronic tagging of cattle is going to be mandatory in the EU. Current GPS/RFID based solutions are suboptimal (cost, functionality) in feedlots. Software management app’s for cattle farms are available, but they require human data entry, which are not backed by real data. In UE-28 there are more 272k livestock fatteners that need a cost affordable solution that monitors the status of the animals and helps them with paperwork. Livestock breeders are lack tools to monitor and locate their cattle, assuming a 10% of animal losses. Just in UE, there are more than 452k (60M of cattle) with this problem.
Digitanimal is an integrated service platform composed by our own monitoring IoT wearables and a cloud platform devoted to help livestock farmers, breeders and fatteners, to increase their profitability and animals’ welfare. Besides that, we provide traceability tools from calving in order to guarantee transparency in meat chain. Wearables monitor animals’ condition and send it to the cloud through IoT networks where our own designed Big Data and AI algorithms generate insights and notifications for farmers. In addition, our management software is integrated with data coming from wearables in order to save paperwork time and ensuring traceability data.
Our solution employs several FIWARE enablers. These enablers endow us with a rather simple yet powerful set of APIs. These APIs allow us to speed up the development of our backend services (saving costs) and to generate new services due to the application of these APIs to our data. Besides, an open source reference implementation of each of the FIWARE components is publicly available so we can integrate it into our cloud solution.
Within FIWARE APIs, our solution employs:
- Orion Context Broker: By using NGSI9 and NGSI10 interfaces, this API allows us to handle information coming from animals from the farm. It is connected with other enablers or connectors such as Cosmos (Cygnus) and CEP.
- IDAS: Our solution is an IoT solution so, in order to connect information from the sensors with the Context Broker, it uses several IoT agents to gather information from the sensors and relays to the Context Broker.
- Complex Event Processing (CEP) module: The CEP GE analyses event data in real-time, generates immediate insight and enables instant response to changing conditions. The module allow us to monitor the condition of the animals in the farm.
- Big Data (Cosmos): Our target is to collect as much data as possible from farms and stakeholders in order to analyze it to get new patterns in order to deploy new services. To achieve this target SensoWave employs Cosmos (and its ecosystem) as Big Data enabler reference.
The benefit for farmers is cost saving related with: animal location; farm automations generated by our system (predicting possible diseases, etc.):
- Benefits for animals: reducing healing time, better welfare.
- Benefits for consumers: truthful information about purchased product.
- Benefits for authorities: pandemic contention tool through early detection and cause identification through data correlation, avoiding infected meat reaching food chain; real time meat tracing.